My history according to Maleficent



Spoiler alert.  If you haven’t seen the film Maleficent this blog is going to make no sense.  If you don’t watch or approve of Disney movies like Maleficent, it’s time to hit your mouse (not Mickey).
I just finished watching the movie Maleficent for the second time.  The first time I was somewhat distracted by Angelina Jolie’s cheekbones but otherwise completely engaged by a well-written, well-acted upside down version of Snow White.  However the second time around my thoughts went a layer deeper into the plot.
My conclusion: This predictable fairy tale has been turned into a serious redemption story.
Maleficent innocently falls in love.  She gives her heart to a boy.  A boy who grows up into a man, and then betrays her.  He pretends to love her, gets her to trust him, and then cuts off her wings for his own selfish gain.
Yep, that’s pretty much my story.  The scene where Maleficent wakes up and finds her wings gone, where she shrieks in horror and pain and despair… that the one she loved and thought loved her could do this and leave her maimed for life… well, that was me, waking up from my fairy tale turned nightmare. 
I get her rage too.  It feels really justified.  As she painfully gets up out of the fetal position on the cold ground and hobbles off with the use of a staff into a world now turned dark, I see myself as I was emotionally for a long time.
But, from that man who betrayed her, comes a child named Aurora.  A child who slowly but surely melts the cold ice of Maleficent’s life.  Someone who shares half the DNA of the person who caused her the most pain, is the source of healing what is left of Maleficent’s heart.   Through her self-appointed mission of protecting Aurora, Maleficient comes to care more about Aurora and her future and her happiness than any thoughts of revenge. 
Aurora teaches  Maleficent how to live and laugh and love again. And at the end, it is Maleficent’s true love’s kiss – the love of a mother for a daughter- that saves the princess.   And it is Aurora’s love for Maleficent – the only mother she has ever known- that gives Maleficent back her wings and sets her free to fly again. 
Maleficent’s skepticism about the existence of true love melts.  And her understanding of the different kinds of true love deepens.
Yep.  Pretty  much.
I love the last scene, the protector Maleficent looking contentedly over the restored kingdom, and at her “daughter” reigning in joy, loved by all.
Most of the time these days, that’s where I am.  Can I just say, it feels good to have my wings back. 



Except I don’t look anything like Angelina. 


Thank God.  Those cheekbones are scary.  Not to mention the horns.


Disclaimer: I love to see symbolism and truth in fiction, but I in no way allow them to replace the true Gospel.  I acknowledge Jesus as the Restorer of all things and the Power behind the scenes working all things together for my good, and His love that is the source of true Redemption.  My three “Auroras” (sorry son, its just symbolism) are His gift, and have been a huge part of His healing in my life.

Comments

  1. Wow. What a great take on this story. Thanks for sharing.
    Allen Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure am glad you got your wings, and your authentic voice, back. Keep soaring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment