Easter in Davao

Easter morning at Mercy Maternity Center in Davao, Philippines, began with a sunrise service on an upper porch. The midwife volunteers not on duty joined for singing and a time of sharing.



I had to be at the clinic for the day shift, beginning at 6 AM. There was a young first time mother in labor when I got there, who delivered at 6:24. The first Easter baby born at Mercy Maternity Center would also be my very first birth observed in the Philippines. Baby Ralph weighed 6 lbs 8 oz.

Here the midwife volunteer instructs the new dad on how to bathe his newborn son while the resting mother looks on.




The gals not on shift brought us over some delicious Easter breakfast.


Soon another young mother was in labor.


She would deliver later in the morning.

Joel was born at 11:05 AM


He weighed 5 lbs 9 oz.


And those were the two babies born on Easter during my double shift. The rest of the day was filled up with postpartum duties and housekeeping, like preparing gauze packs to sterilize along with instruments.




It was pretty much a perfect day already, and then I got a phone call from the airport. My bag, which had not arrived when I did three days ago, had finally made it.


And that was my Easter in Davao, at Mercy Maternity Center. It was an excellent start to my one month stay. What better way to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ than by welcoming new life into the world.

He is Risen!
He is Risen indeed!

Comments

  1. Looks like a great Easter! Thanks for the post on my blog. Love being connected with you! Would love to check in on your kiddos too, maybe you could give me your phone number so I can call them on the weekend? Miss you! Love you! *BIG HUG* Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment